- All the family
Highnam Court was built in 1658 after the original house was seriously damaged in the Civil War. It is one of the few houses built during the Commonwealth period. The design of the houses is linked to Ernest Carter who was a pupil of Inigo Jones.
The Highnam Estate was bought in 1838 by Thomas Gambier Parry, who was an accomplished artist, musician and art collector. This talented painter is also responsible for the magnificent frescoes in Highnam Church. He started to layout his garden in 1840, and by 1874 it rivalled any in the UK. Unfortunately since the turn of the last century almost nothing had been done in the gardens. Consequently when the process of restoration started in 1994 the gardens were totally overgrown.
During the last 25 years, since Roger Head has been the owner, the gardens have been totally and lovingly restored to their former glory, with many new additions being made to compliment and enhance the original design.
Try and identify the range of flowers and statues scattered throughout the gardens.
The garden is opened on various dates throughout the year for charity open days.
Admission is based on which event or open day families choose to attend.
Entry charge £5.00 per adult – children under 16 free. Light refreshments regrettably not available but visitors invited to bring picnics but no barbecues. Highnam Church also open from 13:00 – short walk across from the car park. Dogs welcome on short leads but not in the Orangery. Disabled access is limited due to gravel paths and stairs into the Orangery. Disabled toilet adjacent to Orangery. Please note entrance charges payable in cash only – credit/debit cards not accepted.